"MITFORD, a parish partly in the west division of Morpeth Ward, and partly in the west division of Castle Ward, comprehends the townships of Benridge, Edington, High and Low Highlaws, Mitford, Molesdon, Newton Park, Newton Underwood, Nunriding, Pigdon, Spittle Hill, and Throphill. It is bounded by the parishes and chapelries of Long Horsley, Hartburn, Meldon, Whalton, Morpeth, and Hebron, and comprises an area of 9,595 statute acres. The population in 1801, was 676; in 1811, 630; in 1821, 625; in 1831, 701; in 1841, 733; and in 1851, 700 souls. This district possesses rich and fertile soil, and is well watered by the rivers Font and Wansbeck." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].