William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
BODNEY parish has only one house and a few cottages, on the east side of a rivulet, 7 miles S. of Swaffham. It contains 98 inhabitants, and about 2538 acres of land, all belonging to Michael Tasburgh, Esq., of Burghwallis, Yorkshire, and occupied by Mr. James Debenham.
The large farm-house stands near the site of the old Hall, which was taken down many years ago, and was at one time the tranquil retreat of the nuns of Montargis, among whom Eloise Adelaide de Bourbon, daughter of the Prince of Conde, took the veil here on July 9th, 1805.
The Church is a small ancient fabric, of flint and pebbles, and is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6.7s.8d., and consolidated with Great Cressingham. (See page 374 [which is the entry for Great Cressingham].)
See also the Bodney parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.