Norfolk: Buckenham Tofts
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BUCKENHAM-TOFTS, or Buckenham Parva, is a parish on the river Wissey, 8 miles N. by W. of Thetford, containing only 69 inhabitants, 931 acres, a few cottages, and the HALL, a large handsome mansion in an extensive and well-wooded park, belonging with the manor to the Right Hon. Fras. Baring, 3rd LORD ASHBURTON, who resides here occasionally, with his son, the Hon. Alex. Baring, M.P. for Thetford. Buckenham-Tofts Hall was founded in the reign of Charles II., by a Mr. Vincent.
The Church (St. Andrew) was desecrated many years ago, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £3, is a small sinecure. The ruins were cleared away above 40 years since, and the churchyard now forms part of the pleasure grounds near the hall.
POST from Brandon via Mundford.
See also the Buckenham Tofts parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.