William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
COLKIRK, a parish and village of detached houses on an eminence, 2½ miles S. of Fakenham, has 462 inhabitants, and 1307 acres of land, exclusive of a common of about 100A. The Marquis Townshend owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) which is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and in 1831, at £805, with that of Stibbard annexed to it. It has been enjoyed since 1816, by the Rev. Ralph Tatham, for whom the Rev. Thomas Tatham officiates.
The poor have 8A. 2R. 15P. of land at Sherford, given by an unknown donor, and let for £7; and the Crown public-house and 2A. of land, let for £23, and purchased with £100, left by Samuel Collison, in 1764; and £20 derived from the sale of land at Snettisham, left by John Holland, in 1636. The public-house was rebuilt in 1827, at the cost of £324. The poor have also 52s. a year, left by Thomas Carryan, in 1711, out of land at Great Massingham; and 3s. 4d. per annum from Dunham's Charity. (See Whissonsett.)
Browne John, Esq. Colkirk Hall Abram James shoemaker Chapman Jeremiah shopkeeper Dodman David horsebreaker Eastwick Wm. blacksmith Harper Henry shoemaker Heitland Arthur Allen gentleman Howard John baker Howard Jemima beer seller Moore Thos. shopkeeper and beerhs Phillippo Edward cattle dealer and vict. Crown Inn Tatham Rev Thomas, B.A. curate West Harmer wheelwright FARMERS. Chambers Thomas Coker Sarah Cole Peter (and horse dealer) Phillippo Edward Powell Edward Sidney Wm. Simpson John
See also the Colkirk parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.