William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
DERSINGHAM is a large well-built village, on the Hunstanton road, 8½ miles N.N.E. of Lynn, sheltered on the north by rising and well cultivated fields, and bounded on the south by a sandy heath and rabbit warren of 1,900 acres, of which 1,500A. are in Wolverton, and the rest in Sandringham, West-Newton, and Dersingham.
The parish contains 676 inhabitants, and 2,951 acres of land, extending nearly two miles westward to Lynn Deeps, and three miles eastward to Ling House. At the enclosure, in 1779, 160 acres were allotted in lieu of the vicarial tithes, and 457 acres were enclosed within a ring fence for the use of the parish, viz:- 329A. of marsh, as a stinted common, and 128A. of heath for providing whins and turfs.
John Bellamy, Esq. and the Marquis Cholmondeley own a great part of the soil, and are lords of the manors of West Hall, Pakenham, Gelham, Shouldham Priory, and Brook, for which J.L. Jarvis, Esq., of Lynn, is steward. The copyholds are subject to small fines, and the quit-rents amount to only £10 14s. 8½d. The Marquis Cholmondeley is lessee of the rectorial tithes, under the Bishop of Norwich.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a large building with a square tower and six bells. The vicarage, was valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and in 1831, at £155. The Rev. Edw. Bellamy, B.D., is incumbent, and John Bellamy, Esq., of Wisbech, is the patron.
The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz:- £5 from 2A. 8P. of land at Snettisham, left by Jeffery Bummer, in 1689; 10s. left by Nicholas Ground, out of half an acre; 11s. from 1R. 7P. left by an unknown donor; and £17, as the rent of 8A. 2R. 36P., allotted at the enclosure, in lieu of land purchased with £100, left by Elizabeth Pell, in 1730. Of the latter, 16 pennyworth of bread is distributed every Sunday, and the residue is disposed of in coals.
Balding Robert glover Bellamy Rev. Edward, B.D. vicar Bellamy George assistant overseer Brown James schoolmaster Brett Mrs. Mary Bunn Isaac post man; letters received 8½ morning, and despatched 6 evng Bussey William gamekeeper Davy Miss Lucy Davis Abraham carrier, to Lynn, Tuesday and Saturday Fitt James corn miller Flegg John wheelwright Frost John and James blacksmiths Gay Abraham vict., Cock Hotchin William butcher Leach Rev. William, M.A. incumbent of Flitcham, &c. Lines John parish clerk Petchey Lydia vict., Coach and Horses Pickerill Thomas carpenter Reynolds Charles shopkeeper Rungay Charles tailor Skelton George Wild Fowl Decoy Skinner Robert joiner & shopkeeper Stanton Richard, sen. gentleman Terrington John shopkeeper Twaites Samuel baker & flour dealer Warnes John gardener Waters John vict., Dun Cow FARMERS. Chadwick George Hunt Robert, (to J. Platten) Chapman John Riches John, (and rabbit dealer) Claxton Robert Rix James Fox Robt., Hill hs. Scott Thomas Freeman Joshua, (and Stanton Rd., jun., Ling House maltster) Smith John Shoe Makers. Gamble John Scott Edward Sheldrake Francis Watson Robert
See also the Dersingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.