William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
FORDHAM, a parish and small village near the river Wissey, 3 miles S. of Downham, contains 211 inhabitants, and 2204 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev. Jermyn Pratt, the lord of the manor; and partly to Hy. Martin, Esq. An ancient farm-house, in this parish, called Snore Hall, was long the seat of the Skipwiths, one of whom is said to have received King Charles here, a short time before he surrendered to the Scotch at Newark.
The Church (St. Mary) is a small edifice, built in 1730, after the old one had fallen down. It has a nave and chancel, with a small gallery at the west end.
The Dean and Chapter are patrons of the perpetual curacy and appropriators of the tithes, now leased to the Rev. J. Pratt. The benefice was augmented, from 1757 to 1824, with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty, laid out in land. It is now worth £51 a year, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. Hy. Pyman Collett, of Denver.
The chief residents are -
Brown Jos. farmer
Day Wiles tailor
Hopkin Wm. farmer
Pell Wm. shoemaker
Rose Thomas farmer
Seal Geo. farmer and vict., Hare's Arms
Strangward David farmer
POST from Downham.
See also the Fordham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.