Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1933
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GASTHORPE is a parish and village, pleasantly situated on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles south from Harling Road station on the Thetford and Norwich section of the London and North Eastern railway and about 7 south-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Guiltcross hundred, Thetford rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.
The ancient church of St. Nicholas is now in ruins. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of Riddlesworth and Knettishall (Suffolk), joint net yearly value £410, including 60 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of W.N.L. Champion esq. J.P. and held since 1924 by the Rev. Thomas William Adam M.A. of Keble College, Oxford, who resides at Riddlesworth.
Gawdy's charity of £1 yearly is for fuel.
William Needham Longden Champion esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are barley, oats, turnips and cinquefoil. The area is 871 acres; the population in 1921 was 65.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Diss. Hopton is the nearest Money Order & Telegraph office
Cutter Edwd. blacksmith
Footer Gad farm bailiff to W.N.L. Champion esq.
J.P. Lodge farm
Pamphilon Ned tobccnst. & sub-postmaster
See also the Gasthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.