William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
HEMPNALL, a large scattered village, 9 miles S. of Norwich, and 7 miles N.W. of Bungay, is in Depwade hundred, rural deanery, union, and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 881 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3626 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £5073. The soil belongs to many proprietors, and mostly lies in J.T. Mott, Esq.'s manor of Hempnall and Canons, and partly in Mrs. F.W. Irby's manor of Boyland-cum-Fritton. J.T. Mott, Thomas Nash Ward, Esqs., Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Irby own most part of the soil. The fair has been discontinued.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a large structure, comprising nave, aisles extending the whole length of the building, and a square tower with clock and one bell. It was partly rebuilt and thoroughly restored in 1857, at a cost of £1400, when several mural paintings, two piscinas, and a quantity of painted glass were discovered. Eighteen new windows were inserted, and a new bell turret was erected on the tower. Here are several tablets of the Rolfe and other families. The church is said to have been almost entirely destroyed by fire at some remote period, and was again burnt down over 300 years ago.
J.T. Mott, Esq., is impropriator of the rectory and patron of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and is in the incumbency of the Rev. George Thomas Hall, B.A., who has 48 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £611 15s. to the impropriator, and £388 5s. to the vicar.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a small chapel here.
The SCHOOL was erected in 1847, at a cost of £500, and was capable of containing over 100 children. It has since been enlarged, and is now capable of containing 200 children, while a library for the use of the parishioners is connected with it. It is now under the management of the Hempnall School Board.
The Town Lands which have been held in trust from a period earlier than the reign of Elizabeth, for paying the tenths, fifteenths and other taxes, and for the relief of the poor, consist of 72A. 1R. 21P., let for about £100 a year, and is apportioned thus:- one-fourth to repairs of the church, one-fourth to the school, and the remainder for general parish purposes, subject to the approval of the Charity Commissioners. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by Robert Row in 1662, and another of 3s. 4d. given by an unknown donor. Part of the town lands was exchanged at the enclosure in 1815.
In June, 1854, an ancient British cemetery was discovered in a field to the east of Hempnall, containing a quantity of cinerary urns, burnt bones, and ashes. The deposits seemed to have been made at regular distances of ten or twelve feet in parallel rows, and in some instances two pots of ashes were found together. Most of the urns were broken, and of the rudest description; but in one spot, a few feet south of the general interments, a mass of black soil and ashes was found mingled with fragments of dark pottery of a superior character, apparently Anglo-Roman.
POST, MONEY ORDER, and SAVINGS BANK at William Alpe's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m., and are despatched at 5.15 p.m., viâ Norwich.
Alpe William postmaster Arnold William farmer Binley John schoolmaster Brock Robert farmer, Park farm Buck Henry farmer and corn miller Buck William farmer and owner Buck William, jun. farmer Bullen John watchmaker & jeweller Burrage - baker and shopkeeper Cunningham John beerhouse, The Two Friends Dickerson John basket mkr. & thtchr D'Oyly Henry French frmr. & owner Earle George vict. Swan Inn Ellis Wm. farmer & veterinary surgeon Feltham Elijah blacksmith French John shopkeeper and farmer Frost James vict. Horse Shoe Inn Goose William farmer Goose William, jun. farmer Hall Rev. George Thomas, B.A. The Vicarage Harrison Charles shoemaker Harvey Thomas painter and glazier Hickling Colby pork butcher Hickling Frederick harness maker Hipperson Samuel farmer and owner Howard Mrs Elizabeth fmr. & owner Kennedy Wm. shopkeeper and tailor Knights William baker & shopkeeper Lansdell Bros. blacksmiths Lansdell Frederick (Brothers) Lansdell Lewis (Brothers) Lansdell Walter (Brothers) Laskey John shoemaker & shopkeeper Leggatt Jas. vict. & carrier, King's Hd Matthews John vict. Queen's Head Mullinger Henry farmer Muskett George miller and baker Nash John farmer and owner Nash Wm. farmer and machinist Payne John farmer and owner Peacher Robert farmer Rackham William shoemaker and parish clerk Read Edward farmer Read Saml. carpenter, bldr. & cntrctr Read William bricklayer Riches John farmer Roberts Edwin & James wheelwrights Roberts Henry farmer and dealer Roberts Henry shoemaker Roberts James farmer and owner Roberts James, jun. farmer Robinson Mr James Roper Benjamin farmer Scarnell William carpenter Seaman Frederick corn miller Smith John farmer Smith William vict. Nelson Inn Spaul Isaac shoemaker, Lunda green Sporl William farmer Stammers John Jph. grocer & draper Tooley Charles farmer and owner Ward Mrs Susan farmer and owner Ward Thomas Nash farmer & owner Wilson John beerhse. The Woodman
CARRIER - James Leggatt, to Norwich, Wed. and Sat.
See also the Hempnall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.