William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
RUNHAM village stands on the north bank of the Bure, five miles W.N.W. of Yarmouth; but its parish, which contained 911 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises about 1600 acres, includes Vauxhall Gardens and a number of modern houses near Yarmouth Suspension Bridge. It is in Flegg union, East Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district and bankcruptcy district, Ormesby and Yarmouth polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
For ecclesiastical purposes Runham Vauxhall is united to Yarmouth, and for school purpose it forms a distinct district. This part of the parish had 606 inhabitants in 1881, and the old part 303.
The Evermores formerly held this lordship by petit serjeanty; and one of them obtained a charter for a fair and market in 1226; but both have long been obsolete. The executors of George Brightwen, Esq., are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are W. Fabb, Thomas Daniel, executors of A. Bland, executors S.B. Cory, Esqs.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is of Perpendicular architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, north porch, and a square tower with three bells. It was restored in 1856, at a cost of £1000, raised by subscription, grant, and rate. The chancel arch is lofty and finely moulded, and the floor is laid with encaustic tiles. The seats are good open benches, all free; and many of the windows are filled with stained glass. The font is octagonal and well carved, and the ancient piscina still remains. Here are tablets to the Price and Boult families. The parish Register dates from 1538.
The vicarage valued in the King's Book at £4, and now at £225, has 35A. 2R. 21P. of glebe, partly purchased with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, obtained in 1780. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. F. Conway Steward, M.A., is the incumbent, and resides at Runham Vicarage, formerly Runham Hall, which was purchased of T. Brightwen, Esq., in 1853. The great tithes belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and a portion of them has been given for augmentation of the living, and £60 to the Vicar of Yarmouth for the newly constituted part of Vauxhall. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for a yearly payment of £223 16s 3d., to the lessee of the rectory; £145 5s. 10d. to the vicar of Runham; and £32 4s. 6d. to the vicar of Gorleston.
A school under the new Board was built at Vauxhall about 1879, at a cost of £1100.
The Poor's Allotment, 27A. 3R. 19P., was awarded at the enclosure of the marsh in 1802, and is now let for £65 the last seven years, which is distributed in coal. The old poor's land, 1A, 35P., is let for £3 15s., which is distributed among poor widows.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, which was opened in 1852.
The schools for boys and girls, with a house for the mistress, were built in 1854, at a cost of £512, of which £200 were given by the Committee of Council on Education, and are now under a School Board, formed in 1879, and consisting of five members, appointed by the Education Department, in lieu of Board in default.
Saltworks are mentioned in Domesday Book as existing in this parish.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Beckett's. Letters from Yarmouth, via Filby.
Marked * are at Runham Vauxhall, near Yarmouth.
*Allen Thos. cowkeeper; h Markshall *Archer Geo. marine store dealer, and Yarmouth *Bard Mr Jonah *Bayley & vitriol and manure manufacturers, Sutton and at Norwich Beckett Geo. grocer, drapr. & postmaster *Berkbeck Peter cowkeeper Blott J.J. & Co. tar distillers and mfg. chemists, Runham tar works, and London Bly John Hy. iron and brass founder, stove, grate, and nail mfr. and ironmonger, &c. Yarmouth Brown Zachary farmer *Bumpstead John cowkeeper Carr Christmas shoemaker, & parish clk. Childs George market gardener *Chasen Christopher cart owner Cory Robert solicitor at Yarmouth Crow Robert farmer and surveyor Fabb John Chas. fmr. assist. overseer, assessor of taxes, and rate collector Fabb Mr William *Gooch Thomas basket maker Gown Robert farmer Hewitt Frederick shoemaker Hewitt William farmer Hindes James wheelwright *Howard Richard farmer Howes - farmer Hurley Fred & Mrs master & mistress, Board school Sophia Elizabeth *Jackson Rev. Oliver (Prim. Meth.) *Johnson William rope maker *Keeble John vict. Vauxhall Tavern and pleasure gardens Knights Edward farmer Knights Edward, jun. market gardener Nicholls Job farmer & market gardener Palmer Clements blacksmith Palmer George market gardener Palmer John farmer and ferry owner Palmer Wm. farmer and vict. Three Horseshoes Inn Read Richard pork butcher *Read Thomas joiner, &c *Redgrave Thomas grocer *Royal Jas. John toll proprietor Smith George farmer *Smith John cowkeeper *Smith William beerhouse Steward Rev. Fras. vicar, Vicarage Conway, M.A. *Tripp Mrs Catherine toll collector *Ward Charles Fredk. raily. goods agt.
* Railway (G.E.R. Vauxhall station) - George Dowey, stationmaster; Chas. F. Ward, goods agent.
See also the Runham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.