William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
SHOULDHAM-THORPE, anciently called Garbois-Thorpe
, is a scattered village, on rising ground, nearly 5 miles N.E. of Downham, having in its parish 314 inhabitants, and 1,340 acres of land, of which Sir Thomas Hare is chief owner, and lord of the manor; and the rest belongs to Wm. Bagge, Esq., Mrs. Allen, and a few smaller owners.
About a mile N. of the village, is the small manor of FODDERSTON, or Foston Gap, anciently a separate parish, belonging to the abbot of Ely, but now the property of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and leased to Sir Thomas Hare, together with the tithes; but he is impropriator of the tithes of Shouldham-Thorpe, where the CHURCH, (Virgin Mary,) has a nave and chancel, but the tower fell down in 1724. The living is a curacy, consolidated with that of Shouldham.
The Fuel Allotment, 60A., was awarded in 1794. The poor cut turf upon it, and let the herbage for £7.
Banyard Jas. brick-maker
Brown Jas. pork butcher
Benstead Maria shoemaker
Butter Wm. Newton corn miller
Carter Wm. vict., Gate
Harrison John wheelwright
Watson John shopkpr. and beer seller
Brackenbury John (Exectrs. of)
Brown Cornls. Jary,
See also the Shouldham Thorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.