William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TESTERTON, a small parish, 3 miles S.E. by S. of Fakenham, is in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Gallow hundred and petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Toftrees rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 13 inhabitants in 1881, living on 613 acres, and has a rateable value of £859.
Testerton House, a handsome modern mansion, was erected in 1802 by Philip Mallet Case, Esq., who was distinguished for genuine English hospitality. He died in 1834, when the estate, comprising the whole parish and a small portion of Great Ryburgh and Oxwick, devolved to Mary, the wife of Thos. Wythe, Esq., of Middleton, from whom it passed by purchase to the trustees of the late J. Morse, Esq., and then to F.A. Morse Boycott, Esq., of Sennoweville, Bushey Heath, Herts, who is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil.
The family of Case flourished for nearly two centuries at Great Fransham; and one of them, the late Philip Case, Esq., of Stradsett Hall, was more than 30 years clerk of the peace for Norfolk, and left several daughters married into the families of Browne, Hamond, and Bagge. Mr. James Philip Case farms the parish, and resides at Testerton House.
The CHURCH (St. Remigius) has long been in ruins, and only a part of its ivy-mantled tower now remains. The rectory was valued in the King's Book at £5, and is now only worth £13 per annum, though it is still continued as a sinecure in the patronage of F.A. Morse Boycott, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Dr. Gerty, of Bushey, Herts.
POST viâ Fakenham.
Case James Philip farmer, Testerton house
See also the Testerton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.