White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Cropwell Bishop is situated upon a gentle declivity on the east side of the Grantham Canal, one mile south of Cropwell Butler, and 4 miles south-east of Bingham. Its parish contains 640 inhabitants and 1,551 acres of strong clay land, the rateable value of which is £1,658 6s 5d. The principal part of the land belongs to the two prebendaries of Oxton, in Southwell Collegiate Church, who let it on renewable lease for the term of three lives. William Marshall Esq. is lord of the manor, and principal owner and impropriator. A court is held annually about Easter.
It was anciently called Crophill Bishop, from the round hill on the north side of the village, and from its being included in Doomsday Book, amongst the manors of the Archbishop of York, though it was afterwards given to Southwell Church and Lenton priory. Part of the wastes were enclosed in 1788, together with Cropwell Butler, each having a right in Persefield, and the remainder in 1803, when allotments were awarded in lieu of all the tithes.
The church, dedicated to St Giles, has side aisles, a tower with four bells, and was repaired and renovated in 1842. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's books at £5 3s 4d, now £150. The Bishop of Ripon is patron, and the Rev. George Gould is the incumbent, and has about 80 acres of glebe. A Methodist chapel was built here in 1842, and several neat houses have lately been rercted in the village. Gypsum and limestone are found on the south side of the parish. In 1850, a small National School was erected by subscription at a cost of £90. The parish feast is held on the first Sunday in Old September.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]