White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Farnsfield is a populous village and parish, pleasantly situated 4 miles west-north-west of Southwell. Its parish is within the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, and contains 1,195 inhabitants and 3,625a 2r 13p of land, rated to the county rate at £3,524. It was enclosed in 1777, when 350 acres were allotted to the three Prebendaries of Normanton, Norwell Overhall and Pallishall, 157a 3r 15p to the vicar, and 5a 1r 21p to the Chapter of Southwell, in lieu of tithes. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor, in which William Holdsworth Esq., Emanuel Howitt Esq., Richard Hall Esq., Jonathan bell, Richard Truswell and some others have estates, and also neat houses in the village.
The church has one aisle and a square tower, in which are five harmonious bells. There is a small organ, placed by Miss Milward in 1851. The living is a discharged vicarage valued at £165, and has 19a 3r 6p of glebe, besides the allotment made at the enclosure. The Chapter of Southwell are the patrons, and the Rev. Henry Robert Wilkins B.A. is the incumbent. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists each have a chapel in the village.
The school, with a house and two acres of land, was purchased in 1799 with £400 arising from the benefactions of Messrs Watson and Hornby, and the sale of the Bull land. The master teaches 11 free scholars. The poor have the interest of £73 15s from the poor rates, left by several donors, and £45 bequeathed in 1820 by Samuel Higgs, and now in the Southwell Savings' Bank. They have also £6 yearly from Temple Croft Close, left by an unknown donor, and the interest of £20, left in 1827 by Mary Awdes. The interest of £20 was left by Joseph Mellows a few years ago.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]