Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Flintham

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

"Flintham is a pleasant and well-built village, 6½ miles south-west by south of Newark, including within its parish 637 inhabitants and 2,110 acres of rich loamy land, at a rateable value of £3,324, which was enclosed about the year 1780, when 172 acres were allotted to the vicar, and about 300 acres to trinity College, in lieu of tithes, exclusive of 165 acres which had previously belonged to the said college. The greater part of the parish belongs to Thomas Blackborne Thoroton Hildyard Esq., but Francis Fryer Esq., Richard Hall Esq. and John Clark Esq. have also estates here. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, which he holds in fee of the King's Duchy of Lancaster, together with several others in this neighbourhood. His Grace has no land here except six acres allotted to him at the enclosure. Flintham Hall, which has been successively the seat of the Husseys, Hackers, Woodhouses, Disneys, Fytches and Thorotons, is now the residence of Thomas Blackborne Thoroton Hildyard Esq. It is a handsome modern edifice, erected on the site of the ancient mansion. It owes many of its present beauties to the late Col. Hildyard."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]



Flintham has a large Cemetery out behind the churchyard, located at 3 Inholme Road.



  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 853
1851 H.O. 107 / 2139
1861 R.G. 9 / 2483
1871 R.G. 10 / 3546
1891 R.G. 12 / 2717


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Flintham area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Augustine of Canterbury.
  • The church was rebuilt with a smaller footprint in 1828.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Augustine's Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1576 and is in fair order.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Bingham.
  • The Wesleyan Methodists and the Primitive Methodists had chapels here by 1869.

Civil Registration

  • The parish was in the Bingham sub-district of the Bingham Registration District.
  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.

Description and Travel

This village and parish are 6.5 miles south-west from Newark-on-Trent, 5 miles north-east of Bingham and 130 north of London. The parish covers about 2,450 acres. Coneygre is a cultivated estate in the parish.

If you are planning a visit:

You can see pictures of Flintham which are provided by:





Ask for a calculation of the distance from Flintham to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Flintham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



  • The village holds a feast on Whit-Sunday.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Flintham pinfold on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Boot and Shoe Public House on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
  • These are the names associated with the Boot and Shoe P. H. in various directories:
Year  Person
1853 William MAWBY
1869 William MAWBRY
1881 Mrs. Elizabeth MAWBRY
1885 -- not listed --
1894 Jonathan NIX, v.
1905 William SMITH
1912 George PASS


  • Flintham Hall, the seat of the HILDYARD family, and was occupied by Thomas Blackborne Thoroton HILDYARD, Esq. in 1869.
  • The Hall was occupied by Captain Douglas LANE in 1881.
  • The Hall was built of Ancaster stone and stood in a 22-acre park, half of which was a lake.
  • The Hall still stands and has been used as a setting for several motion pictures.
  • Here is a photograph of Flintham Hall taken on a rainy day.
  • Jonathan THACKERY has a photograph of Flintham Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the conservatory at Flintham Hall on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2014.

Military History

The Great War Bulletin for October 19, 1914 tells us that farmer Elston REVILL hosted the Flintham Ploughmen's Association annual ploughing match. They donated all the money from the event to the War Relief Fund.

The Great War Bulletin for December 7, 1914 tells us that:

"Flintham School's 45-year-old head master Albert John TUCKER, a father of four, joined the Dorset Regiment last week – and served on the Home Front until his demob as a Lieutenant on 27 December 1918.  His wife Rosa Elizabeth and their oldest child, 21-year-old Doris Minnie, taught the village children until his return."
  • The Ham class minesweeper HMS Flintham was named after the village.
  • Robbie SHAW has a photograph of HMS Flintham on ShipSpotting, taken in August, 2008.
  • RAF Syerston was located just north-west of the village.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of a derelict building at RAF Syerston on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
  • James ALLAN has a photograph of a the Airmens' quarters for RAF Syerston on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2010.
  • There is a brass plaque inside the parish church that commemorates World War I.

Military Records

The names on the World War I plaque inside the church are:

  1. JACKSON, Henry L
  2. JACKSON, Henry Percy
  3. PATTINSON, George Ernest
  4. RAWSON, Ernest
  5. SHEPHERD, Fred
  6. WHITAKER, Charles
  7. WHITAKER, John

The Newark Great War Bulletin for June 7th, 1915 tells us that 22-year-old private Ralph PALMER of the 16th Royal Engineers died of Malaria while serving in Sierra Leone.

The Newark Great War Bulletin for December 6th, 1915 tells us that Flintham raised £8 for Christmas presents for its troops and decided to send socks to the men at the Front, plus pork pies, chocolates, cakes and tobacco.


Politics and Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
  • This parish was in the north division of the Bingham Hundred or Wapentake in the southern division of the county.
  • You may contact the local Flintham Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help with family history lookups.
  • District governance is provided by the Rushcliffe Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bingham petty session hearings held every other Thursday.
  • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1780.
  • Robert HACKER left the income from land in Bandon, Lincolnshire, for the benefit of the parish poor. In 1881, that was about £43 a year.
  • After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Bingham Poor Law Union.


 Year Population
1801 459
1831 545
1841 611
1851 639
1861 524
1881 381
1891 346
1901 338


  • The first Primary School was built here in 1779.
  • In 1869 the parish also had a school for 12 girls.
  • A National School was built here in 1873.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of a the current Flintham Primary School in Church Lane on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of a the Disused Al-Jamia Al-Islamia School on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.


  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Flintham Museum operated by the Flintham Society on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2009.