White's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1853
Tithby and Cropwell Butler
Tithby Parish consists of two townships, Tithby and Cropwell Butler, the former of which contains 116 inhabitants and 567 acres of land, and the latter 695 inhabitants and 1,800 acres. They maintain their poor separately, and were both enclosed in 1788, when 232 acres were allotted to the impropriator, and 30a 3r 32p to the incumbent curate in lieu of tithes, and 5a 3r 34p to the Duke of Newcastle, as a commutation of his manorial claims in Cropwell Butler.
Tithby is a small but pleasant village, 2½ miles south-south-west of Bingham. After the Conquest it was off the fees of William Peveril and Walter D'Ayncourt. For many generations it was the property of the Chaworths of Wiverton, whose late heiress carried it in marriage to John Musters Esq., the late lord of the manor, improriator and patron of the perpetual curacy, which is certified at £102, and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Joshua Brooke.
Cropwell Butler is a large village and township, 1 mile west by north of Tithby, and near the Grantham Canal. It was anciently called Crophill Botiller, from the circular hill which rises betwixt it and Cropwell Bishop, and from its early possessors, the Botillers or Butlers, of Warrington in Lancashire, from whom part of it passed to the Hutchinsons, who sold the farm to divers freeholders, and the demesne to the Earl of Kingston, to whose descendant, Earl Manvers, is still belongs. The "Grange" is the property of Mr John Marriott. Mr henry Bingham and Mr john Smith also have estates here. "The Grove", the seat and property of Mr henry Smith, is pleasantly situated near the village, and was erected in 1838. There are 37 houses belonging to the present lord of the manor, the Duke of Newcastle, who has allotted 6 acres of land for gardens to each house, for whom Mr thomas Fisher receives the rent, and the manorial rights are under the Duchess of Lancaster. After the Conquest it was of the fee of Roger Pietavensis, who gave the chapel, of which now no trace remains, "to the monastery of St Martin's, at Sais, in France". In 1845, Mr george Parr erected a small church at a cost of £400. The same gentleman has purchased a small organ and placed it in the church at a cost of 70 guineas. The Methodist chapel was enlarged about 30 years ago. The Primitive Methodists also have a chapel, erected in 1845. A feast is held on the Sunday after Old St Luke's Day. There are three benefactions belonging to the poor of the township, viz. £50 left in 1777 by Mary Fillingham, £50 left in 1779 by WIlliam Fillingham, and £100 left in 1813 by John Marriott. The latter is now vested in £108 new four per cents, and the other in Smith and Co's Bank, Nottingham. There is also the interest of £300 left by Miss Parr of Ratcliff, to educate 20 poor children.
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was thoroughly repaired and repewed in 1824, at the cost of £900. At the east end of the chancel is a monument to the Chaworth family. The feast is on the Sunday after St Peter's Day.
[Transcribed by Clive Henly]