"CHESWARDINE, a parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of BRADFORD (North), county of SALOP, 4 miles (S. W.) from Drayton, containing 938 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £ 5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of T. Smallwood, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Swithin. There is a small bequest forteaching four poor boys of this parish."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]