"FITZ, a parish in the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 4½ miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is situate on the river Severn and its tributary the Perry. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £272, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260. There is a village school supported by the rector. Dr. Waring, the mathematician, was born here."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Fitz provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the Fitz parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Fitz parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " GRAFTON, a township in the parish of Fitz, liberty of Shrewsbury, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Perry."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fitz to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fitz has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ449178 (Lat/Lon: 52.754987, -2.817844), Fitz which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)