"HOPESAY, a parish in the hundred of PIMSLOW, county of SALOP, 6 miles (S. E.) from Bishop's Castle, containing 612 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Salop, and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £16. 12. 6. M. Pilkmgton, Esq. was patron in 1803. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]