KNOCKIN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"KNOCKIN, a parish in the hundred of OSWESTRY, county of SALOP, 5 miles (S.S.E.) from Oswestry, containing 225 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, and in the patronage of the Earl of Bradford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This parish derives its name from a castle founded here by the family of LEstrange, who possessed the manor in the reigns of Henry II; and Henry III., the latter of whom directed a precept to the sheriff of this county, commanding the aid thereof, to enable John LEstrange to erect part of the " Castle of Cnukyn," and to repair the rest for the defence of the borders; his son received from the same monarch the grant of a weekly market, and a fair on the eve and morrow of the festival of St. John the Baptist, both of which are disused. In the reign of Edward III., Madoc, a Welch nobleman, headed an insurrection, and defeated Lord Strange at Cnukyn. Thomas Staveley, first earl of Derby of that name, was, in his father's lifetime, summoned to parliament by the name of Lord Strange of Knokyn. Few vestiges of the old castle remain, except the keep, which may still be seen."
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1831](unless otherwise stated)
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2015]