"LILLESHALL, a parish in the Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, county Salop, 3 miles S.W. of Newport, its pest town, and 1 mile from Donington railway station. It is situated on the Donington Wood branch of the Shrewsbury canal, and a little to the S.E. of the Newport and Wellington turnpike road. The parish contains the townships of Donington and Muxton, and the ecclesiastical district of Donington Wood. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the coal mines. The soil consists principally of a strong clay on a subsoil of red sandstone. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £313. The parish church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing a clock and six bells. In the interior of the church are several tombs, including two full-length effigies of Sir Richard and Lady Katherine Leveson, ancestors of the Duke of Sutherland, bearing the dates 1661 and 1674. The charities produce about £60 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes. Lilleshall House, the seat of the Duke of Sutherland, is a white freestone mansion situated on rising ground, and commanding a very extensive view of the surrounding country. About a mile distant from the church, in a secluded spot, are the ruins of Lilleshall Abbey, including a portion of the church 228 feet in length, with a Norman doorway. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor and chief landowner."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- A transcript of the Lilleshall parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Lilleshall parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " DONINGTON, a chapelry in the parish of Lilleshall, hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 3½ miles S.W. of Newport by the Shropshire Union railway, on which it is a station. It is situated on the Shrewsbury canal, and contains the township of Donington Wood. The inhabitants are mostly coal and iron miners. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £197, in the patronage of the Duke of Sutherland, who built the church."
- " MUXTON, a township in the parish of Lilleshall, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Newport. It is situated near the Shrewsbury canal, and it contains many valuable mines."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lilleshall to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lilleshall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ732157 (Lat/Lon: 52.73826, -2.398374), Lilleshall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)