"MARKET DRAYTON, (or Drayton in Hales) a parish and market town, partly in the Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, and partly in the N. division of the hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 19 miles N.E. of Shrewsbury, and 153 N.W. by N. from London. The parish is divided into four quarters, and contains the townships of Drayton Magna, Drayton Parva, Almington, Blore-in-Tyrley, and Hales, and the hamlets of Hook Gate, Sandy Lane, Betton, and Longslow; besides the market town of Drayton-in-Hales. This last is situated on the north-western bank of the river Tern. The houses are old, but the streets are well paved and present a neat appearance. It is supposed to have been one of the principal cities of the Britons, named Caer-Draithon, and was the Roman station Mediolanum. In Domesday Book it is written Draitune, and belonged to Combermere Abbey. In 1246 it received the grant of a market and fair, and in 1459 the sanguinary encounter of Blore Heath took place, in which 5,000 Yorkists under the Earl of Salisbury defeated 10,000 Lancastrians under Lord Audley. During the parliamentary war Prince Rupert here gained an advantage over Sir Thomas Fairfax. Hair-cloth is manufactured, and paper has declined. St. Mary's is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £280, in the patronage of Richard Corbet, Esq. There are also two district churches: one at Little Drayton a perpetual curacy,* value £155, in the patronage of the vicar; the other, at Hales, also a perpetual curacy, value £100, in the gift of the Rev. A. H. Buchanan, was consecrated in 1856. The charities amount to £271 per annum. The Dissenters have three chapels, and there is a National school for both sexes. Peter Stray Broughton, Esq., is lord of the manor. Market day is Wednesday. Fairs are held on the Wednesday before Palm Sunday, the 22nd June, 19th September, and 24th October."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]
- The transcription of the Non-Conformist Register for Market Drayton Independent Chapel provided by Mel Lockie.
- A transcript of the MarketDrayton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the MarketDrayton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015
- " BETTON, a township in the parish of Market Drayton, and hundred of North Bradford, in the Drayton division of the county of Salop."
- " DRAYTON MAGNA, a township in the parish of Market Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop."
- " DRAYTON PARVA, (or Little Drayton), a township in the parish of Market Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, in the county of Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Whitmore station on the London and North-Western railway, and 18 N.E. of Shrewsbury. Market Drayton is its post town. It is situated in the south-western part of the parish, and is an ecclesiastical district. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £95, in the gift of the vicar. The church, dedicated to Our Saviour, is a new structure in the early Gothic style of architecture, with tower, clock, and bell, and has an organ. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school for both sexes. There was a white friary founded by Bishop Northborough. Reginald Corbet, Esq., is lord of the manor.
- " LONGSLOW, a township in the parish of Market Drayton, hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 1 mile N.W. of Drayton."
- " SUTTON, a township in the parish of Market Drayton, county Salop, 1 mile S.W. of Drayton."
- " WOODSEAVES, a township in the parish of Market Drayton, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Drayton, near the Grand Junction canal."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Market Drayton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Market Drayton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ675342 (Lat/Lon: 52.904245, -2.484641), Market Drayton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)