"HEVENINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blything, county Suffolk, 7 miles N.W. of Yoxford, its post town, 6 N.E. of Framlingham, and 5 S.W. of Halesworth. The village is situated near the river Blythe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £550, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower and an elaborately carved roof, and is dedicated to St. Margaret. The parochial charities produce about £76 per annum. There is a daily school, endowed with an annuity of £10 from the parish feoffment funds, and which is also supported by Lady Huntingfield and the rector. Heveningham Hall, the seat of Lord Huntingfield, who is lord of the manor, is a large mansion, situated in the midst of a well-wooded and extensive park. The hall has a Grecian front upwards of 300 feet in length, the centre of which is adorned with Corinthian columns. The interior is fitted up in a costly manner, and contains a tine collection of pictures, chiefly of the Dutch and Flemish schools. Here are the remains of Lord Hunsdon's seat, with an oak upwards of 30 feet in diameter, where Queen Elizabeth visited to enjoy the chase."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Heveningham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Heveningham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM342722 (Lat/Lon: 52.298006, 1.433201), Heveningham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)