Ilketshall St Margaret
"ILKETSHALL ST. MARGARET, a parish in the hundred of Wangford, county Suffolk, 3 miles S.E. of Bungay, its post town. The soil is clayey, and the land chiefly arable. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £536 8s., and the vicarial for £120. The living is a vicarage'' in the diocese of Norwich, value £131. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a small ancient structure, with an old circular Norman tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1558. The charities, consisting of the town estate, produce £38 per annum, of which £33 is applied for the repairs of the church, and £5 for the benefit of the poor. Sir Shafto Adair, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Descriptions and photographs of churches in the parish may be found in Simon Knott's Suffolk Churches.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ilketshall St Margaret to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ilketshall St Margaret has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM353846 (Lat/Lon: 52.408723, 1.458221), Ilketshall St Margaret which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)