"MONEWDEN, a parish in the hundred of Loes, county Suffolk, 5 miles N.W. of Wickham Market, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Framlingham. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly' agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £277. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £265. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat structure, with a square tower containing three bells. It is situated on an eminence forming a conspicuous object for some miles round. The interior contains a brass of T. Reve bearing date 1595. Charles Austin, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monewden to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Monewden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM237584 (Lat/Lon: 52.178035, 1.270595), Monewden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)