"NACTON, a parish in the hundred of Colneis, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Ipswich, and 8 from Woodbridge. It was either in this parish or else at Rushmere that Earl Ulfketel fought a battle with the Danes in 1010. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the banks of the river Orwell, and game through the Fastolfs to the Brokes. The parish includes Alnesbourn-Priory, Halfway House, and Purdis Farm. At Seven Hills, on the road from Ipswich to Trimley, are several barrows where human bones have been found. Tho land is partly in common. The soil is of a sandy nature, with subsoil of sand and crag. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £525, subject to rates. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Lavington, in the diocese of Norwich, value £250. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a rubble structure with a tower. Broke Hall and Orwell Park are the principal residences. Captain Sir G. N. Broke, C.B., Bart., is lord of the manor. The Woodbridge union poorhouse is situated in this parish."
"HALLOWTREE, a quondam parish and now forms part of the parish of Nacton, in the hundred of Colneys, county Suffolk, 4 miles S.E. of Ipswich. It is situated near the river Orwell."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)