"OFFTON, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere, county Suffolk, 4½ miles S.W. of Needham Market; its post town, 8 N. by W. of Ipswich, and 5 W. of Claydon railway station. The village, which is small and straggling, is wholly agricultural. Upon a chalk hill are ruins of a castle which formerly belonged to King Offa of Mercia, from whom this place took its name. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £216 10s. The living is a vicarage* with the rectory of Little Bricett annexed, in the diocese of Norwich, value £124. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square tower. Tolmash Hall, formerly the seat of the Kemps and D'Autreys, is now a farmhouse. James Cuddon, Esq., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)