"BARROW-GURNEY, a parish in the hundred of Hartcliffe-with-Bedminster, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the W. of Bristol. A Benedictine nunnery was established here about the commencement of the 13th century by one of the Fitz-Hardinges, to whom the manor belonged At the Dissolution its value was £31. It was granted by Henry VIII. to John Drew, of Bristol, who converted it into a private mansion. The house has been little altered since, and contains some interesting decorations and family portraits. It is now called Barrow Court, and is the seat of the Gores, in whose family it has been since 1659. The living is a donative in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £71, in the patronage of J. H. Blagrave, Esq. The church has monuments of the Gores, and is dedicated to the Holy Trinity." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- The Phillimore & Co. transcript of marriages in this parish from 1593 - 1811 are available on CD-ROM from UK Genealogy Archives
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barrow Gurney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Barrow Gurney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST525676 (Lat/Lon: 51.405602, -2.683754), Barrow Gurney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)