"ENGLISHCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Bath, its post town. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £185, in the patronage of the bishop. In the vicinity are Barrow Hill camp, and traces of the ancient Belgic boundary wall called by the Saxons Wodensdic, now Wandsdyke." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- The Englishcombe website has History Guides of Church and Parish to download
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from English Combe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which English Combe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided bySomerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST716623 (Lat/Lon: 51.359184, -2.408753), English Combe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)