"LITTON, a parish in the hundred of Wells Forum, county Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Wells, its post town, and 9 N.W. of Shepton Mallet. The hamlets of Greendown and Sherborn are included in this parish The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £160. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £250, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, or, according to others, to St. Peter, is a stone structure of the 15th century, with a square tower. The register commences in 1587. The parochial charities amount to about £13 per annum. General Lowth is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Litton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Litton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST590543 (Lat/Lon: 51.285942, -2.589598), Litton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)