"MUCHELNEY, a parish in the hundred of Pitney, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Langport, its railway station and post town, and 5 N.W. of Martock. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Parret, and on the turnpike road leading from Crewkerne to Langport. The parish includes the hamlets of Muchelney-Ham and Thorney. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of clay. The land is principally rich meadow, subject to inundation from the river Parret. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £336 11s. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £95." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
References in the British Library:
- Muchelney Abbey and Church, Somerset ... The Legend of the Abbot of Muchelnaye. By ... Dr. Alford, Dean of Canterbury. (2nd edition.). pp. 33. Herald Press: Langport, 1925.
- Sue Redfearn has provided Photographs of Monuments and Inscriptions from Muchelney Churchyard.
- Sarah Hawkins has provided Census Transcripts from Muchelney and surrounding areas.
- An information sheet on Christianity and the parish church is available at the church for 50p (April 1997).
Abstract: Describes the establishment of Christianity in the area from Saxon times and details the features of this 15th century church including the distinctive Tudor angels painted on the ceiling, the medieval and Victorian glass panels and the 12th century tiles from the nearby Abbey used around the altar. (Information from Penny Mercer)
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Muchelney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Muchelney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST428250 (Lat/Lon: 51.021746, -2.816277), Muchelney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)