"NORTH CURRY, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Taunton. It is situated near the river Tone and the Great Western railway, which has a station at Taunton. It contains the chapelries of Stoke St. Gregory and West Hatch, and the tythings of Knapp, Lillesdon, and Wrantage, with the hamlet of Newport, formerly a borough, but now an insignificant place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £325, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a district church at West Hatch, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £65, also in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Roman coins were found here in 1748, and in the Saxon times it was a royal borough. A fair is held on the first Tuesday in September for bullocks, sheep, and toys." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Curry to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which North Curry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST319254 (Lat/Lon: 51.023581, -2.972145), North Curry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)