North and South Bradon
"BRADON (NORTH-and-SOUTH), a parish in the hundred of ABDICK and BULSTONE, county of SOMERSET, 3¾ miles (N. by E.) from Ilminster, containing 32 inhabitants. The living is a sinecure rectory, in the archdeaconry of Taunton, and diocese of Bath and Wells, rated in the king's books at £5. 4. 4½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont. The church, now desecrated, was dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. Adjoining this parish was one called Goose, or Gouiz, Bradon, now depopulated, and the church and other buildings entirely destroyed." [Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"SOUTH BRADON, a parish in the hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the N. of Ilminster, its post town. It includes North Bradon. An old parish adjacent to this, called Goose or Gouiz Bradon, has long been depopulated. The living is a sinecure rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £ 133, in the patronage of the Earl of Egremont. The church is in ruins. It was dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North and South Bradon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which North and South Bradon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST363191 (Lat/Lon: 50.967833, -2.908115), North and South Bradon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)