Taunton, St James
"Taunton comprises the parishes of St. James and St. Mary Magdalene, the former containing 4047, and the latter 8019, inhabitants; but many houses extend into the adjoining parishes of Wilton and Bishop's-Hull. The living of St. James's is a perpetual curacy; net income, £254; patron, the Rev. Dr. Cottle; impropriator, Sir T. B. Lethbridge, Bart., whose tithes have been commuted for £420. The church, which was the church of the priory, was lately considerably enlarged and improved, at a cost of more than £2000, through the exertions of Dr. Cottle, formerly incumbent, and now vicar of St. Mary's; and is an elegant and commodious structure, containing 1400 sittings, upwards of 600 of which are free." [A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848 by Samuel Lewis]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Taunton, St James to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Taunton, St James has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST228248 (Lat/Lon: 51.017373, -3.101959), Taunton, St James which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)