"WEST HATCH, a parish in the hundred of North Curry, West division of county Somerset, 5 miles S.E. of Taunton, and 7 N.W. of Ilminster. This parish was formerly joined with North Curry, and was under the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Wells, but in 1856, by an order of council, it was constituted a distinct parish. In the lower part of the parish the soil is a rich red loam, but in the upper clayey. It includes part of Sedgmoor. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £42. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £65, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a beautiful structure of the 16th century. It has been lately enlarged and greatly altered. The register commences in the year 1604. There are National and Sunday schools. The Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor and chief landowners." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Details of Somerset Heritage Centre holdings relating to this parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Hatch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Hatch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 1st edition (c.1884-1887) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
- The Ordnance Survey 1:10560 County Series 2nd edition (c.1900) map of the area provided by Somerset Heritage Centre.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST287211 (Lat/Lon: 50.984667, -3.01755), West Hatch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)