"CHALDON, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Wallington, in the county of Surrey, 5 miles N.E. of Reigate, and 2 N.E. of the Merstham station of the London and Brighton line. Redhill is its post town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value 9,255, in the patronage of James Legrew, Esq. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient structure partly in the early English style, with spire. The charities amount to £4 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]