"CHELSHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Tandridge, in the county of Surrey, 6 miles S.E. of Croydon, its post town, and 2 N.E. of the Warlingham station of the Caterham branch of the Brighton and South Coast railway. It is situated under Battle-Hill, on which is a Roman camp. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Warlingham, in the diocese of Winchester, in the patronage of A. W. Wigzell, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, which is dedicated to St. Leonard, is an ancient structure in the early English style of architecture. Here are parish schools for boys and girls."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]