"CHOBHAM, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Godley, in the county of Surrey, 5 miles S.W. of Chertsey, and 3½ from the Woking station of the London and South-Western line. Farnborough is its post town. It is situated on the Bourn brook, not far from Chobham Ridge and Bagshot Heath. In the neighbourhood is the large military camp originally formed in 1800, and rendered permanent in 1853, when a royal pavilion and mess-rooms for the officers were built, round which a town has gradually been springing up."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]