An 1868 Gazetteer description of the following places in Fetcham
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FETCHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Copthorne, county Surrey, 1 mile S.W. of Leatherhead, its post town, and 6 N. of Dorking. The river Mole forms the N.E. boundary of the parish, and there is a small lake supplied by springs, which, after giving power to a flourmill, forms a tributary of that stream. The land is chiefly arable, with a small proportion of woodland.[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
The living is a rectory' in the diocese of Winchester, value £363. The church is a structure of the Middle Ages, built of flints, pebbles, chalk, and Roman tiles. It was originally in the form of a cross, and is now partly covered with ivy. The register commences in 1559. The parochial charities produce nearly £70 per annum. There is a National school. In 1758 many skeletons were found here, supposed to be those of the Saxons and Danes who perished in the pursuit after the battle of Ockley, in 815."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003] These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.