"FRENSHAM, a parish partly in the hundred of Farnham, county Surrey, and partly in the hundred of Alton, county Hants, 4 miles S. of Farnham, its post town and nearest railway station on the South-Western line. It is situated on a tributary of the river Wey, and includes the tythings of Churt and Pitford, with the ecclesiastical district of Shotter Mills. The parish is very extensive, and only one-third of the land is under cultivation. The surface is hilly and sandy. There are two small lakes called Frensham Ponds, on which are abundance of fowl. Hops are grown in the neighbourhood."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868), Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]