ISFIELD is a parish, and station on a branch of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway to Uckfield, 6 miles north from Lewes, and 3 from Uckfield, in the Eastern division of the county, Uckfield union, Loxfield Dorset hundred, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, and diocese of Chichester. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient stone building in the Early English style: it has a nave, chancel and south chapel, with a low square tower containing 1 bell: the chapel contains several brasses and monuments of the Shyrley family; that of Sir John Shyrley, Bart., and two ladies in recumbent postures, robed in the Tudor costume, is in alabaster, and of great beauty. The register dates from 1570. The living is a rectory, annual value £340, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Charles Gaunt, M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. Here is a place of worship for Independents. Henry King, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Isfield Place shows traces of a once beautiful edifice, surrounded by a moat, now occupied as a farm house. Buckham Hill is the residence of Thomas Browne,The soil is a rich loom. The area 1,862acres, and the population in 1861 was 458.
BUCKHAM HILL is a mile and a half north-east. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]