TILLINGTON is a neat village and parish, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, Midhurst union and rural deanery, Petworth county court district, Arundel rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, one mile from Petworth, on the main road to Midhurst. The church is an ancient stone building, standing on the site of one built in the twelfth century: it has nave, aisles, chancel, and lofty tower containing 3 bells: the interior is tastefully fitted up, and contains several handsome monuments. The register dates from the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The living is a rectory, annual value £740, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leconfield and held by the Rev. Robert Ridsdale., M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge, prebendary of Chichester and rector of Knockin, Salop; the curate is the Rev. Berkeley Howard-Stafford, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin. There is a National school for boys and girls. There are two almshouses for aged labourers, built in 1840, endowed with £20 per annum each by Lord Leconfield; two members of the Styles family left the interest of £100 to be given away in bread to the poor of this parish. The population in 1861 was 908; and the number of acres is 3,766, chiefly the property of Lord Leconfield, who is lord of the manor.
UPPERTON is a small hamlet, one mile north [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]