WARBLETON is a parish, 7 miles north from Hailsham, 3 south from Heathfield, and 10 west from Battle railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Hawkesborough hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, Hailsham union, Hastings rape, diocese of Chichester, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of St. Mary is a neat structure, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and square tower containing 6 bells, of the thirteenth century: in the north chancel is a handsome monument and bust to the memory of Sir John Lade, Bart., and on the floor of the chancel is a beautiful brass to the memory of Dean William Prestwick; the figure, which is admirably executed, is somewhat remarkable, as exhibiting upon the edges of the sacerdotal vestment a quotation from the book of Job, ch. 19, v. 25 and 26, and the beautiful crocketed canopy terminates in a finial, composed of a pelican feeding her young with her own blood, with the motto on a scroll, "Sic Christus dilexit nos." The parish register dates from 1558. The living is a rectory, value £663 per annum, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. George Edward Haviland, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge; £100 per annum gross rent-charge has been alienated for the endowment of Bodle Street Green consolidated chapelry. The Earls of Ashburnham and Chichester, and the trustees of Smith's charity, are lords of the manor. Here are charities of £45 annual value. Stone House, the seat of John Roberts Dunn, Esq., D.L., is a large mansion, partly in the Elizabethan style and partly modern, situated in well wooded and pleasant grounds: thismansion has been in the Roberts family for several centuries. Markly is the seat of George Darby, Esq., D.L.: the house, which is large and commodious, commands extensive views of the surrounding scenery. About one mile east of Rushlake Green are the remains of an ancient priory (now forming part of the Priory farm house), built by John Pelham in the year 1413, for the monks of the Holy Trinityin Hastings. The parish contained in 1861 a population of 1,431 and the area is 5,763 acres. [Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867.]
|Little St Mary's, Rushlake Green, Church of England|
|St John the Evangelist, Bodle Street Green, Church of England|
|The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Warbleton, Church of England|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warbleton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warbleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ609182 (Lat/Lon: 50.940796, 0.288788), Warbleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)