Hide

Barlaston

hide
Hide

"Barlaston, a well-built village, with a railway station, is delightfully seated near the summit of a lofty declivity, on the east side of the vale of the Trent, and three miles N of Stone, and five miles SE by S of Newcastle. Its parish contains 591 inhabitants and 2087 acres of enclosed land, with 60 acres of waste. RT Adderley, Esq, is owner of a great part of the soil, and lord of the manor, which his father obtained in marriage with one of the co-heiresses of the late Thomas Mills, Esq. His residence is Barlaston Hall, a handsome mansion near the north end of the village, commanding an extensive view of Trent Vale.
Barlaston New Hall is the handsome seat of Francis Wedgwood, Esq, late of Etruria.
Dr Ramage, Mrs Morgan, Mrs Aston, and several smaller owners have estates here. Hartwell is an ancient moated house, one mile north, and Parkfield is a hamlet of pleasant houses, on a terrace above the Trent, on the west side of the parish."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

 

Hide
topup

Bibliography

'Barlaston: A History'
by Michael Washington.
Published 1966, by Dept of Extramural Studies, University of Keele.

'Stone, Sandon & Barlaston, a portrait in old picture postcards'
by Jane, Joy, & Tony Priestley.
Published 1988, by Brampton, Loggerheads.

 

topup

Census

The population of Barlaston parish was as follows:
1831 -- 514
1841 -- 591

topup

Churches

topup

Church History

"Barlaston Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, stands near the hall, and is a small Gothic structure. It was rebuilt, except the tower, in 1760, and enlarged on the north side in 1830, when a new gallery was erected. The Duke of Sutherland is patron of the perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev Wm. Oliver."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

 

 

topup

Church Records

Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St John the Baptist commences in 1551. The original registers for the period 1575-1914 (Bapts), 1598-1933 (Mar), & 1551-1893 (Bur), and Banns for the period 1823-1921 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office. The earlier period is missing but some transcripts survive.
Bishops Transcripts, 1674-1868 (with gaps 1762-66, 1700-73 & Marr 1860-68) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the registers covering Baptisms & Marriages 1573-1812 and Burials 1551-1812 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Register Society in 1905 and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.

 

topup

Description & Travel

A transcription of the section on Barlaston from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)

You can see pictures of Barlaston which are provided by:

topup

Directories

A Directory of Barlaston in 1896 from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for Barlaston from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)

The transcription of the section for Barlaston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

The transcription of the section for Barlaston from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Barlaston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ895385 (Lat/Lon: 52.943784, -2.157698), Barlaston which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

The parish became part of Stone Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.