Hide

Norton-under-Cannock

hide
Hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"NORTON-CANES, (or Norton-under-Cannock), a parish in the S. division of Offlow hundred, county Stafford, 8 miles W. by S. of Lichfield, its post town, and 5 N. of Walsall. There is a station on the South Staffordshire railway at Brownhills, in this parish. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near the Roman way Watling Street, and on the Wyrley and Essington canal. The parish contains the hamlets of Little Wyrley and Brownhills, also a considerable tract of open common. The district abounds in coal and iron-stone, and at Brownhills there are some extensive collieries, giving employment to a large number of hands. The soil is productive, and the chief portion of the land is in a high state of cultivation. The appropriate tithes, which belong to the Prebendary of Alrewas, in the cathedral of Lichfield, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £353 16s.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, value £330, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone structure, with a square pinnacled tower containing three bells. It was rebuilt and enlarged, by subscription, in 1832, at a cost of £1,220. The interior of the church contains a font of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £55 per annum, of which £39 is the endowment of a school for both sexes, founded in 1776 by R. Gildart and P. Hussey. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Norton Hall, which formerly belonged to the bishops of Chester, and afterwards to the Aston family, and Wyrley Grove, are the principal residences. W. Hanbury and P. F. Hussey, Esqs., are lords of the manor.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]