Rowley Regis in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ROWLEY-REGIS, a parish in the N. division of Seisdon hundred, county Stafford, 3 miles S.E. of Dudley, its post town, and 7 W. of Birmingham. It is situated in a rich mineral district, abounding with clay, coal, and ironstone, and is bounded on the S. and S.W. by the river Stour, which separates it from the counties of Salop and Worcester. The parish, which is of large extent, comprises the hamlets of Cradley Heath, Old Hill, and Reddall Hill. The village is a thriving and rapidly-increasing place, and the seat of a prosperous coal and iron trade." (There is more of this description).
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]