Rushall in 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"RUSHALL, a parish in the S. division of the hundred of Offlow, county Stafford, 1 mile N.E. of Walsall. It is a station on the South Staffordshire section of the London and North-Western railway. The village, which is large, is situated on the road from Walsall to Lichfield, and the Wyrley and Essington canal passes through the parish. The surface is undulating, and in parts hilly.
The substratum abounds in limestone and ironstone, both of which are extensively worked. The inhabitants are chiefly miners and colliers. The glebe comprises about 80 acres, valued at £150 per annum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, value £300.
The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt in 1444, and recently repaired. It contains a piscina, an old cross, and several monuments to the Leigh family, of whom was Edward Leigh, author of "Critica Sacra." There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]