Notes from the 1821 Census - Warwickshire
Abstract of Population 1821 - Census Statistical Returns 1822.
"Items of Interest in the Notes"
A compilation of the significant increases, or decreases in population since 1811,
transcribed by Alan Longbottom. © 2000
Note: Most Census returns between 1801 and 1831 amounted to little more than 'head counts'.
This account (compiled in 1822) simply suggests reasons for local population changes, based on a comparison of those counts. Names of individuals were not recorded.
Barlichway Hundred - Henley Division - Wootton Waven Parish
The Entire Parish of Wootton Waven contains 2,248 inhabitants. The increase of the Population in the Hamlet of Henley in Arden may partly be "attributed to omissions in the former Return"". The stoppage of a large paper mill has caused a decrease of the Population in the Wootton Waven part of the Parish.
Barlichway Hundred - Stratford Division - Old Stratford Parish
The increase of Population in Old Stratford is attributed to a number of houses (59) having been erected since 1811. The Entire Parish contains 4,229 inhabitants being 996 in Old Stratford, 164 in Luddington and 3,069 in Stratford upon Avon. Note - there were 15 houses building in Old Stratford in 1821.
Hemlingford Hundred - Atherstone Division - Chilvers Coton Parish
There has been an increase of the ribbon manufactory at Chilvers Coton.
Hemlingford Hundred - Atherstone Division - Mancetter Parish - Hartshill Hamlet.
The Entire Parish of Mancetter contains 4,482 inhabitants. In Hartshill Hamlet the "property chiefly belongs to small proprietors, and this added to the salubrity of the air, and the excellence of the situation, may account for the very great increase (213) of Population".
Hemlingford Hundred - Solihull Divsion - Meriden Parish
The increase of Population in Meriden Parish is attributed to the establishment of a school, and an addition to the numbers in the House of Industry since 1811.
Hemlingford Hundred - Tamworth Division - Tamworth Parish
part of Tamworth Parish is partly in North Offlow and mostly in South Offlow Hundred, County of Stafford. The increase of Population is attributable to vaccination, and to the better mode of preserving health. The Entire Parish contains 7,285 inhabiitants. The Township of Bolehall and Glascote forms a small part of some of the streets in the Borough of Tamworth. The increase of Population in the Hamlet of Wilnecote with Dosthill is chiefly owing to the establishment of collieries and brick and lime kilns.
Kington Hundred - Brails Division - Idlicote Parish
The decrease of Population in theParish is accounted for by the mansion house, and a farm-house being unoccupied at this time which were inhabited in 1811.
Kington Hundred - Brails Division - Long Compton Parish
The increase of Population in the Parish is attributed to nearly all the poor belonging to the Parish having been brought home by orders of removals.
Knightlow Hundred - Kenilworth Division - Baginton Parish
The decrease of Population in the Parish is attributed to the shutting up of a boarding school.
Knightlow Hundred - Kenilworth Division - Leamington Priors
The increase of Population (1,640) in the Parish of Leamington Priors is attributed to the influx of persons who resort there for the benefit of the waters.
Knightlow Hundred - Kenilworth Division - Milverton Parish
The decrease of Population in Milverton with Edmonscott Parish is owing to the failure of a cotton mill.
Knightlow Hundred - Kirby Division - Bulkington Parish
The increase of Population in the Parish of Bulkington, (which includes six Hamlets) is ascribed to the building of houses required in consequence of a ribbon manufacture. The Entire Parish contains 1,679 inhabitants of which 847 are in Bulkington.
Knightlow Hundred - Rugby Division - Rugby Parish
The increase of Population in the Parish of Rugby is ascribed to the flourishing state of the school.
Knightlow Hundred - Southam Division - Leamington Hastings Parish
The decrease of Population in the Parish is attributed to several large families having left the Parish, and their places supplied by smaller families.
County of the City of Coventry - Sow Parish (part of)
Sow Parish is partly in Kirby Division, Knightlow Hundred. The increase of Population is attributed to a colliery and to the ribbon trade. 33 of the families in the 3rd class of occupations are coal-miners and boat-men.
[Transcribed by Alan Longbottom in February 2000 from returns at the PRO, and made available with permission]