Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Warcop

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Warcop

Primary tabs

"The church is dedicated to St. Columbe; by contraction, St. Combe. This saint is not in the Kalendar of saints in the Romish church, having never been canonized at Rome. He was the apostle of the Picts, and settled in one of the Hebrides islands, in the sixth century. It is a vicarage, in the patronage of the lord of the manor. The church is small, with two little bells. The vicarage-house hath been anciently moated round, including the garden, orchard, and outhouses; with a draw-bridge at the entrance: the necessity whereof is apparent, as it is situate by the road side out of Scotland. West from Warcop, lies the manor of Sandford, on the north side of the river Eden; which probably had its name from some ford over that river, the soil being remarkably sandy all thereabouts. North from Coupland beck bridge, at the skirt of Roman fell, (as it is now called, not for any particular reason deducible from the time of the old Romans, for the ancient name of it was Rutmanfell) lies the hamlet of Burton. This, like many of the rest, was heretofore in the hands of a family denominated from the place. South from Warcop, on the opposite side of the river Eden, is the village of Bleatarn; so denominated from the tarn and marshy ground thereabouts."
[Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777. Transcribed by Anne Nichols.]

Warcop is a parish in the East of the county, and containing the chapelries of Bleatarn and Sandford.

topup

Cemeteries

M.I.s for Warcop were transcribed in Westmorland Church Notes by E. Bellasis 1888-89

topup

Census

Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008.

Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.

Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Cumbria Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack

topup

Church History

St Columba
Cruciform church with S aisle. The nave is substantially Norman.
Later work is C13th, C14th and C15th. C17th porch.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage list (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site.
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database

Chapel of Ease, Bleatarn
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database

Chapel at Warcop
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database

Chapel at Sandford
More details and maps in Genuki Westmorland Church Database

topup

Church Records

Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.

Baptism registers 1597-1934
Marriage registers 1597-1934
Banns registers 1754-1927
Burial registers 1597-1972
Bishops transcripts 1667-1890

See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR13 for information on these and other parish records..


For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).

Registers for the Inghamite Birks Chapel (1757-1837 bap, 1758-1837 bur) are held at the Kendal Record Office and the Public Record Office, London.

topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Warcop which are provided by:

topup

Directories

The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warcop to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Warcop has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

The Later Records relating to North Westmorland by John F. Curwen (1932) on British History Online

Cumbria County History Trust has published a "Jubilee Digest" for the township of Warcop

A History of the Sandfords of Sandford have been made available by C R Grant.

Magna Britannica et Hibernia.Volume 6: Westmorland by Thomas Cox 45 pages, printed in 1731.
Transcription by Sarah Reveley, Joan Fisher and Lisl Schoenwald. (Rootsweb Westmorland Listmembers) (c) 2003

"Warcop, Warthe-coop, or Warthecupp, a Village famous for giving a Name to an antient and genteel Family of Warcops, who 'tis probable were Lords of it at that Time, but was alienated in Aftertimes; for Roger Lord Clifford 4th died possessed of it 13 Rich. II. and left it with his other great Estates to his Son and Heir Thomas; yet 'tis probable, that the Warcops still continued Men of Estates and Note, because we observe, that Thomas de Warthe-cupp was Knight of this Shire 8 Hen. V. The Maidenway lies near this village.
Sandford, a Lordship of Roger Lord Clifford 4th, who died seised of it 13 Rich. II. with divers other Manors before-mentioned, and left it to his Son and Heir Thomas, as above."

topup
topup

Population

1641/2 370(est)
1671 541(est)
1801 1707
topup

Probate Records

Warcop is in the diocese of Carlisle and wills will be in Carlisle Record Office.

topup

Taxation

Hearth Tax records for 1674 Warcop transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Bleatarn (Warcop) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Burton (Warcop) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Sandforth (Warcop) transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Warcop transcribed on Edenlinks
Window Tax records for 1777 Bleatarn transcribed on Edenlinks.
Window Tax records for 1777 Sandford transcribed on Edenlinks.