Bishopstone (near Swindon)
"BISHOPSTONE NEAR SWINDON, a parish in the hundred of Ramsbury, in the county of Wilts, 6 miles to the E. of Swindon. Farringdon is its post town. It lies on the borders of Berkshire. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £208, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are two endowed schools in the village, the income of which amounts to about £60 per annum, and some other charities of the annual value of £70."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
There is another Bishopstone in South Wiltshire, near Wilton.
Common to all parishes is a Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Bishopstone (nr. Swindon, North Wilts), St Mary:
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bishopstone (near Swindon) to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bishopstone (near Swindon) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Bishopstone (near Swindon) from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU251830 (Lat/Lon: 51.545764, -1.639881), Bishopstone (near Swindon) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)