"BROAD TOWN, a district parish in the parishes of Cliffe-Pypard and Broad-Hinton, hundred of Kingsbridge, in the county of Wilts, 3 miles to the S.E. of Wootton Bassett railway station. It is situated on the Downs. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £100, in the alternate patronage of the vicars of Cliffe-Pypard and Broad-Hinton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Broad Town was created as a parish in 1846 from parts of Broad Hinton and Cliffe Pypard.
Common to all parishes is a WSRO registers: Chr 1847-1924, Mar 1847-1999, Bur 1847-1979
We are not aware of any indexes for this specific parish.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broad Town to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broad Town has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU089777 (Lat/Lon: 51.498171, -1.873182), Broad Town which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)